Friday 7 February 2014

OUDF603: Extended Practice Proposal

The subject I am interested in exploring is computer aided design particularly in Interior Architectural Visualisation for animation and Film Production. The reason being, because I enjoy 3D modelling, texturing and rendering. It would be a great way to show off and broaden my skills in this area as these skills can apply in the industries of digital film, games and animation.


I Intend on working on a single self-initiated brief consisting of various digital and practical designs. I’m interested in exploring the design of interior architecture for animation and film, therefore I intend on building fully functional interior space. My development will consist of concept work in a form of miniature designs developed practically, 2D drawings, Schematics, Blueprints, mood boards and mathematical measurements of the space gathered from real buildings. It will also involve blogging as the development process is outgoing, primary and secondary research, contextual research that includes workshops, attending film and animation festivals and also surveying property. The format of the project will be delivered in video format (H.264 & Apple ProRes). 

Areas of research/theories to be investigated are 

  • Colour Theory 
  •  Interior Design 
  •  Fend Shui (Balancing the flow of energy of any given space i.e House Interior) 
  • Architecture 
  • Mise en scène
My intentions are to build up geometry of the Interior from scratch using Maya's unique modelling tools. With the modelling complete, I intend to go through the process of adding materials and textures to the geometry then take the necessary steps for adding appropriate lighting and setting up renders. In the end, I'll have a final rendered interior with animated cameras for visualisation. 
Throughout this module, I have a lot to take to consideration,

  • Cost of all the materials and travel that I will need to cover is taken into consideration.
  • Time that I have to develop the research up until the first hand in of the blogs and interim presentation, also the time I will have for producing the final product.
  • Scale of the work due
  • Difficulty, I have to make sure that I'm familiar with all the tools to get the work completed, if not, time will be allocated for a crash course.
  • Effectiveness to Portfolio, this work has to be portfolio worthy and I have to be confident enough to exhibit it.
  • Production Value, the challenge is to create high production value on a low budget. 

What I hope to accomplish with this module is to increase my 
  • Modelling skills
  • Compositional Art Skills
  • Rendering Skills, learn other rendering software such as Arnold and Maxwell Render
  • Lighting a Scene Efficiently
  • Portfolio Worthy Work

No comments:

Post a Comment