Friday 12 October 2012

'I Know What You Did Last Summer'

After we broke up from University after finishing our first year, I knew I didn't have enough time to do any extra curricular work as I had a month long holiday away planned. So I went straight into finding what I could do. At that time I had recently bought a new Canon 7D professional camera to help me with my course. The camera can be used for either still photography or video work. 
I approached an event manager regarding photography work to one of his upcoming events. The first question he asked me was "Are you looking to get paid?" & I of course did. He wasn't very keen on hiring me but I persisted. Initially he hired me as a voluntary photographer but I wasn't very bothered as I was looking to build my portfolio. 
The event began from midday until the next day at 2 in the morning. I thoroughly enjoyed being the photographer at the event but I felt I lacked the full equipment such as an external flashgun. I now have full access to the equipment as I'm back at uni. 
I poured my heart and soul to this jo to the point that the Event manager paid me from his own pocket, he loved the images and he mentioned that they'll be valuable in terms of advertising.

The other extra curricular work i set for myself was to sign up and become a member of digital tutors. The website helped me learn further skills in mainly Maya and Photoshop. I set my self various tasks such as learning to model and texture! Digital Tutors is an excellent tool to further your skills but it comes at a price of USD$45.00 per month. 

I am going to continue to set myself tasks outside of uni sessions if time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment