Saturday 10 November 2012

UV Mapping the Alien character

After modelling the character, I begun the stages of UV mapping. I had an idea of using a ramp shader for the Alien and make it have 2 or more simultaneous colours blending into each other. I wanted the character to be simple as this is not going to be part of the cut-scene /cinematic, it's just a learning curve therefore it does not need to be looking professional. UV mapping is a process that gave me a hard time last year, but following the guides refreshed my mind and got me up to speed. Below are the steps I took to get to the final product. 

 fig 1.

Using the UV Map Texture Editor (figure 1), I unwrapped my mesh using automatic mapping, I find it easier that way compared to how I'm taught during the studio sessions.


 fig 2.

For the eyes (figure 2) I simply selected them and assigned a blinn and chose a black colour, I increased the specular shading to give it that Alien eye look.

 fig 3.

On the Hyper shade menu, I chose a clever tool called the ramp shader, this allowed me to blend various colours. I only chose to do two colours of what my idea of an alien would look like and that is green and yellow.


fig 4.

Above (figure 4) is my final textured character, To say I first found UV mapping a daunting task, I'm happy with it as it does not seem to have any weird seams, it has a flawless texture and therefore I'm happy at the stage I'm at with UV mapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment