Thursday 7 November 2013

PPP3: Photo-shoot | UNAAAY Clothing.



My job as a nightclub photographer provides me with opportunities of meeting potential clients. Fortunately, on one of the Saturdays I was approached by a client who owns a clothing company, they were interested in marketing their brand through advertising & they needed a photographer. I was offered paid work & free clothing for my efforts, thinking this would assist me to build my portfolio further, I immediately accepted this task & we exchanged contacts.

After exchanging quite a number of emails from the client explaining what they wanted, we came to an agreement of a shoot day, payment process and other details. Prior to the shoot, I had to make a lot of preparation such as booking out the college studio as it provided a huge white backdrop and large studio lighting. Having recently purchased my Canon 5D Mark II, I was excited to use it with the Canon 24mm f1.4. The one setback I had was finding models that were willing to attend the shoot due to their busy schedules as the shoot was booked at an awkward time, which was on a Monday morning.

On the day of the shoot, I had to make sure my client was provided with a guest badge at the college reception in order to have full access to the institution. Luckily, the client provided they’re own model to pose for the shoot, I had to make more effort on the day to find people who would be interested & I found two. On the day, they were advertising they’re line of white t-shirts.

Setting up for the shoot was relatively not that problematic, I only needed help in attaching the diffusers to the lights as my last induction on them was 2 years ago. Another problem I faced was the fact that the lens I was using had an extremely wide focal length; it was a 24mm prime lens. To resolve this, I booked out a 100mm telephoto lens with a wide aperture of f/2.2. This set-up worked well as with a manfrotto tripod, my camera settings were set on ISO: 320, aperture: f/7.1, shutters speed: 1/125th sec.

Photo Credit: UNAAAY Clothing.


The final images came out looking fairly decent, there wasn’t a lot of post-processing necessary due to a well lit environment & correct camera settings.
I appreciated working with my client & I feel this experience has given me self-confidence to work with other people at a professional level in the future. In my judgement, I feel the images are of a near professional standard & they do the job that they’re intended to do, to sell the t-shirts.

Copyright: Wisdom Makubile 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment