Monday 24 March 2014

OUDF603: 123D Scan 2nd Attempt

After learning from my initial mistakes I was extremely careful how I shot this sequence of images, keeping in mind the lighting conditions and the environment. I set up resin scale model on a table and shot 20 photos at a 10° angle and another 10 photos at a 45° angle, I uploaded to the 123D Catch using the Web App (I have a Mac). I allowed the photos to process and was rewarded overnight with a completed model. 

Although it is not advised  I decided to use an external flash on my camera to get extra lighting around the model, I only had two windows in the room available, this created uneven exposure on my subject. An external flash is not advisable as it creates hash lighting even if it is diffused, but with my expertise in photography I decided to bounce the flash against the ceiling and the walls to try and get an even exposure. The key is to keep the subject evenly exposed across all photos and shoot in small sequential increments. To make sure the subject was in focus, my DSLR settings were set to shatter speed: 1/40th, aperture was fairly wide open to f/5.6 and I shot using a 24mm lens.

The colour temperature of the light was at 5400K, this was a this was a tad bit too warm, as I was shooting RAW, this was not a problem as it could be fixed in post processing, I was aiming for a cool colour temperature of at 4200K. 

As for the background  I was advised to lay the scale model on top of newspapers as this makes it easier for the application to scan and stitch the information together. I did so by covering the entire table with A3 sized pages of newspapers. 

I exported all the images from the compact flash card to the mac for editing. At the editing stage I edited the values of the colour temperature, exposure, contrast, highlights and the clarity. I uploaded the images on the web app and left it to scan and render overnight. Compared to my first attempt of a scan, I was quite pleased with the results this time. Below are images of the scans:





The scan needs a clean up, the web app has healing tools that I can use to heal the holes in my model. 

No comments:

Post a Comment