Wednesday 26 March 2014

OUDF603: Maya Fluids Proof of Concept

As part of my architectural destruction project, I decided it would be a good idea to learn and experiment on using the Maya dynamics to simulate fire and smoke. 

I learnt how to create fire and smoke with Maya 3D Fluids . To make my effect more powerful and realistic I first understood the science behind these complex fluids and then I separately created them in Maya. After this, I advanced to understanding the behavior of fire with smoke and then blended them in Maya. I learnt several different techniques to produce and control the behavior of fluids by creating fluids from Maya's own geometry and the particles system. I experimented with the values of the attributes to influence fluids with different fields to create believable effects. I learnt simple techniques to tackle complex effects for easy understanding and learning, this will help me when tackling the final project. The learning curve for this R&D was quite steep but I had to learn and grasp the concept very quickly through experimentation. 



There are other means of creating fire, smoke and explosions, 'Video Co-pilot' offers packages such as 'Action Essentials' in which it provides pre-comped footage, how ever these are much harder to control.

The advantage I learnt with Maya fluids is that the creative control is much higher. The important attributes that the Maya fluids provided me are such as: The base resolution which gives you the option to choose the quality of the flame, resizing the emitter, changing the temperature of the flame, the density of the flame and smoke, the velocity, reaction speed, fuel, buoyancy etc. This set an obvious advantage compared to pre-comped footage.


Experimenting with Maya fluids has given me confidence to be able to apply and develop these methods to my final project, helping the DMM architectural simulations to look very realistic and believable.

Below are my tests and experiments that I simulated with Maya fluids:




Fire Smoke Test 02 from Wisdom Makubile on Vimeo.


Door Flame R&D from Wisdom Makubile on Vimeo.

Fire Smoke Test 01 from Wisdom Makubile on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment