Thursday 13 March 2014

OUDF603: Rigid Body Simulation Test #1

After watching an introduction to DMM I felt confident about conveying it to practise. Below is a play-blast of my first test using a CG rock I modelled and textured.


Rock Smash (DMM Simulation Test 1) from Wisdom Makubile on Vimeo.

On it's first use, I instantly ran into problems, but this may have been caused by the fact that I tried using assets from a previous project. After importing an asset of a tree house that I modelled during my unity project I was given a warning on the script editor which reads :
 
'Warning: DMM: Selected mesh(es) NOT suitable for DMM use, see Script Editor for details'


This is a problem that has not been resolved as I've researched people with similar problems, many of the forums being on the Pixelux website. It seems there is no straight forward solution to this problem as it has proven difficult to find an answer. I reached out for further help to my tutor who is an expert to the Maya Plug-in, I'm yet to receive a response. 

After doing more investigations, it seems this is a problem that happens when you import an asset that is already pre-existing. I accessed website called 'Turbo-squid', it sells pre-made assets for use with various 3D applications. After downloading a 3D model of a house, I imported it to Maya 2012 for a simulation test. Unfortunately it gave me the same persistent warning that I can't seem to deal with.

After some frustration, this led me to model a new asset from scratch as I was eager to make some progress and create my first simulation. I modelled and textured a rock, I used passive region to keep the rock in place and not fall into empty space, I then used density region in the middle of the rock to simulate smaller chunks of the rock. For a collider, I created a 'locator' and I parent constrained it to a DMM cylinder, creating an animation was simple enough, I made 120 frames and set key on the 1st frame and the 60th frame. The simulation worked perfectly and I did not face any major problems. Below are a few screen shots of my progress: 






No comments:

Post a Comment