Sunday 23 March 2014

OUDF603: Location Scouting | Golden Acre Park

Location Scouting is a largely important factor when it comes to film-making & during the pre-production and development phase  I made sure to plan out my location. Taking time to figure out a location was the first thing I did, by researching nearby forests and woods, I was able to narrow down my search. 

After narrowing down my search to three possible locations, in which they were:
  • Golden Acre Park which is located 6miles from Leeds, on the A660 Leeds Road towards Adel & Bramhope. 
  • Wharfdale Chevin Otley
  • Ilkley Moor
The location I visited was Golden Acre Park, I made sure to plan ahead and carved out as much time as I needed, considering the weather, daylight is really short. I left the house around 10am and drove to the location to make sure I had enough sunshine as possible. The length of the footage I need luckily isn't too long, it's more of a backplate of a VFX shot, so what I mostly did was shoot various angles of at least a minute each. 

When I got to the locating I found it effective to look as the location using a viewfinder, this allowed me to get an idea of whether the location was sufficient before I even started recording,
I also took number of images for later reference. I do not own a dedicated viewfinder so instead I just used my DSLR, a zoom lens and various primes (15mm, 24mm, 50mm).

Since I visited several locations while searching for a single scene, I made sure to bookmark the locations by dropping a pin on my google maps app. As this was the initial visit, this is to make sure I don't forget the locations when I'm going back to finalise my shoot and location. Taking pictures also helped as this will be a visual to show my peers and tutors during the interim presentation, this allows for better communication and critic for my project.


Below are the reference images from the location scout: 




















No comments:

Post a Comment