Monday 18 February 2013

Concept Artist: Jim Martin

While researching cool concept art for my spaceship design, interior environment and alien body, I came across this talented artist named Jim Martin. I was really inspired by his photo-real concept work and I was impressed by his body of work. Jim is an established concept illustrator for film, games and animation, he has worked with big clients for film and games such as Insomniac games (environmental paintings for Resistance 2), Sony Computer Entertainment (designed concept vehicles and costumes for Warhawk) , Marvel Studios (Captain America), Universal Pictures (concept illustrator for Bioshock), Disney Animation (Lilo & Stitch, Bolt) , Dreamworks (Visual development for A.I) etc.

Looking at his designs, I got really inspired by some some of his interior concept designs. At the the point of my research  I was at the process of designing my own spaceship interior environment, therefore his designs where very helpful. The most distinct art that caught my attention was the Captain America art that he did. See illustration below.


Even though the room is very industrialised, my attention was mostly drawn to the bed with the leather strap restraints the most. My Idea is near the same only the room will be much more futuristic, therefore the décor will be much more advanced, on the illustration above, the room looks like it is set in the 50s.


The way Jim also painted the lighting in the room is something that also caught my eye. Lighting is very important when modelling a scene, in this case it looks as if it is during daytime by the look of the natural lighting coming through the windows. In my case I will be using indoor lighting as the room will be set in space.
Jim also included a lot of tubes and pipes, this is something I'm planning to incorporate on my Maya, this is something which is easily achievable using the CV Curve tool.


Above is another illustration that uses distinct lighting to give the room character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment