Monday 18 February 2013

OUDF504: Creating & Building the Architecture

Points & description of my models:

  • Large operating room for treatment.
  • Lots of pipes and connectors.
  • Minimalism in colour of assets and decor (mostly whites, greys & chrome).
  • Sterile environment 
  • Robotic arm planted on either ground or ceiling
  • Futuristic 
  • Sharp and edge based look
Objectives & Requirements: 
  • Breakdown Tasks
  • Split into smaller components
  • Adapt good work flow
  • Keep things simple, no complex modelling 
  • Maya level - intermediate
Creating the environment proved a bit of a challenge because I was trying to be creative with the assets but at the same time I found it hard to imagine what a futuristic spaceship may look like. Setting targets and goals for myself really helped a lot as it made my work flow go a bit quicker. Prior to modelling I did research from films and a few industry practitioners. 


The dimensions to my environment above are in inches and they measure Width:180 Height:96 Depth:300. This is very important as it is something I will need when I transfer the model over to after effects to incorporate my footage. 


Above are the initial designs I did in the room, I began by modelling the beds, extracting the windows and the doors and finally modelling the robotic arm. I decided on attaching the arm on the ceiling instead of the floor because this gave it more movement around the patients. I reversed the normals of the cube in order to see the assets I was modelling. 


Above is the close up of the arm with a cable I created using the CV curve tool. 


Above: I added more assets such as sinks, lamp and pipes. I had an opportunity to use Nurbs and Subdivisions, opposed to Polygons that I always use.


Above is when I was adding an area light as I was experimenting on rendering using Metal Ray,I used mental ray materials on some of the objects. With Mental Ray, I can achieve such effects as glass and chrome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment