Monday 3 December 2012

Game Art: Robot // UV Mapping & Texturing

UV mapping was one of many skills I acquired in level 2 of my course therefore I figured I would breeze through this stage, I was wrong. Unwrapping a sphere proved harder than it was, even by using a spherical mapping (figure 1). The spherical map just scattered too many UVs to the point of not knowing how to sew it all together.

figure 1
 Figure 2 are the scattered UVs created using spherical mapping. 

figure 2
I then decided to cut my model in half as the geometry was symmetrical, it made the workload much simpler. I then used a planar map to UV one side of the sphere, this worked very well. Figure 3 shows this.


figure 3

Unwrapping the pyramid shaped drills was easier than the sphere, I used a cylindrical map to unwrap it (figure 4). For the textures, I first experimented with using the ramp shader on the hyper-shade in which I chose three colours for the drill. This made it look to much like plastic, therefore I decided on using a metal textures applying them through on photoshop. I acquired these from CG textures.com.

figure 4
Figure 5 the UVs were not perfect as they a few seams. I tried my best to sort these out by unfolding the UVs but a few imperfections remained, these are not very much visible to the naked eye unless inspected closely. I ended up not liking the the texture nonetheless, therefore I kept searching for a more suitable one, the sources I used where CG textures and google images. 

figure 5

Figure 6 is the new texture I used in favour of the ramp shader, I used three layers of metal and painted blood at the point of the drill.


figure 6



Figure 7 is the drill mapped to the mesh, I was pleased with the outcome so the Idea became final.

figure 7
Below is the final UV mapped & textured robot with the arms, shoulders, legs and the eye textured. I added a moustache to give the robot a comical look, it had become to realistic.

figure 8

No comments:

Post a Comment