Thursday 10 May 2012

Sound (Unity 3D)

Sound is a very important feature in any media platform, it controls the emotion and the mood. On my environment I wanted to keep the sound really simple, so I was advised on going to 'Findsounds.com' for royalty free sounds. I found that this website had really low quality sounds and it was really hard to find exactly what i wanted, maybe they're library isn't all that big. I then went to a different source 'Freesound.org', this site is more reliable and it's like a file sharing site for sounds and samples from real people to other people, therefore they're library of sounds is very huge. The sounds were all high quality and I found what I needed straight away. 


Before taking the sound effects to unity, I edited them on Adobe Audition 1.5, I cut the sounds so they could have seamless loops. I also bumped up the amplitude and reduced the hiss and normalized the clips to 80%. The sounds became even much clearer and when i imported them to Unity they sounded very clear and crisp.


Below is an image of Adobe audition




Unity has an amazing feature that allows you to add the sound as a 3D sound, so when the character on the game moves around the sound stays or pans to where it's supposed to be. You can increase or reduce the max distance on a feature called the doppler level, so the further the character on the game moves the more the sound fades out and vise versa. 


The sound effects I ended up adding where bird tweets, days time summer atmospheric effect and the waterfall sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment