Friday 1 March 2013

OUDF504: Lighting & Shading

The lighting and rendering of the interior of my spaceship proved to be a bit of a challenge as it took me way longer than I expected. The problems I was facing through-out this process was the way the lighting was illuminating the interior, it wasn't working the way I wanted. 

After finding out the hard way that Maya does not render more than 8 lights at the same time, I discovered I was using 12. I was mostly using point lights for the walls & manipulating these by using the mental ray light nodes such as the mib light photometric.

I download IES photometric data files from light companies, these helped me achieve real world lighting patterns, intensity and wattage. Below is an example of how IES files can help in 3D digital software.





Other lights I decided to use were the area lights that I used for the windows, the look I'm going for is a white glow which mimics the decor on the tron legacy. The lighting on the floor (figure 3) is what I'm going for my windows. I then decided not to use area lighting as I already had more than enough lights in the scene. Instead I decided to use a shader which allows you to increase the glow intensity, it works just as well.


figure 3

If the scaling of your CG environment does not match a real world scale (of a room for example) the IES files will not give you the desired effect. I scaled my environment to 300cm that is equal to 9 feet 10764 inches, the height of a regular room. 



As for rendering I decided to used mental ray. If used correctly, mental cray can let you can archive photo real renders from the shaders it offers. In terms of lighting, I experimented using global illumination, final gathering and irradiance particles.
In terms of materials I used dgs material for chrome textures, dielectric material for glass textures and mia material x for simple matte Lambert like materials.


dielectric material for glass textures 

dgs material for chrome textures

mia material x for the wooden floor


No comments:

Post a Comment