Tuesday 14 May 2013

OUDF502: Commissioned Work


During the Easter bank holiday week, I was given an opportunity to work for a very large and widely popular night club called Oceana. I was commissioned to work for exactly 8 days, paid as the event photographer. The job was very demanding as it was the Bank holiday weekend and everyone was out celebrating, this was something I had very little experience in as I've only done it once before. I enjoyed learning as I was working even with the pressure that was put upon me. My job was to take a number of high quality pictures that were then going to put published on the Oceana Facebook page and website. 

Prior to doing the job, I did a bit of research on learning how to shoot night club photography. I learnt how to set the DSLR to the right ISO and how to also set the correct shutter speed to capture light effects such as light trails while maintaining full quality of the images. I learnt how to direct people I didn't know, to stand in certain poses and spots while the music was playing loud and most of them were under the influence of alcohol. It was very tricky at first but with perseverance I managed to come out with some great shots.

Through-out the 8 days of shooting, I gained a lot of confidence in

  • Approaching strangers
  • Talking to people
  • Directing people 
  • Camera skills
  • Shooting in low light conditions 
  • Working under pressure
  • Spotting photo opportunities 
  • Flash photography
Since the commissioned work finished, I've been seeking more work from other Night Clubs. So far I made a promising contact from a night club in which they mentioned that they need a photographer. They asked me to send them an email with my details and a portfolio. The portfolio that I will use is from Oceana. 

Below are some of the images I took from Oceana 


Oceana Leeds


Oceana Leeds


Oceana Leeds







No comments:

Post a Comment