Wednesday 8 May 2013

OUDF503: Vsauce // CGPGrey

Vsause is a you-tube channel by a man called Michael. What I enjoy about his videos is the way he provides in a lot of amount of information in a short amount of time. He also uses a white plain background and plenty of lighting to make his videos simple yet interesting to watch. He also uses a series of images, animations and screen shots from books to help illustrate what he talks about, I find this as a really useful way for me to learn. His videos are very similar to what I want to portray on mine. Below is an example of one of his works



Another you-tube channel that is similar is called CGPGrey, it is another informative channel but in this case it does not show the presenter/narrator. The videos are purely illustrated using images, but what I enjoy is the way the information is provided to us. 
Upon researching the owner of the channel's background, my findings were as follows, he has 2 college degrees one in physics and the other in sociology and is now a qualified physics teacher in England. How long does it take him to create his videos? He mentioned every minute of video he creates takes between 10 and 20 hours of work, so therefore a typical 5 minute of video that he usually uploads would take him 50-100 hours of work. This does not include the research faze as it is difficult to quantify the times it takes him, he could use research he did more that a year ago for example.

My idea for my video is very similar, instead of illustrating the video using images, I will actually provide the footage of the subject narrating. The subject will not be talking on screen, just a series of shots using a wide angle lens and a 50mm lens. If I'm not provided with a 50mm lens for the canon 5D mkIII, I will have to use my own 50mm f1.8 lens with my canon 7D. For the voice of the subject talking, I will either record them on set using the boom mic or I will record at the studio. 

Below is one of the videos by CGPGrey: 


No comments:

Post a Comment